Exterior Stone Restoration: The Rodin Museum was designed by Paul Cret in 1926. As anintegral part of a recent garden and landscape rejuvenation project, the stone entrance to the RodinMuseum, known as the Meudon Gate, was restored by Dan Lepore & Sons. The gate, modeledafter the 18th-century façade at Château d’Issy, which Rodin had installed at his property atMeudon, France, is a significant feature both on the grounds and as viewed from the BenjaminFranklin Parkway. It was cleaned to remove 80 years of vehicular grime and pollution. The FrenchLimestone was cleaned, patched with custom Jahn repair mortar and natural stone dutchmen, andreplacement of damaged stone balusters with new stone. Two flights of limestone steps leading tothe museum entrance are also being replaced using new stone quarried in France.
Landscape Architect: Olin
Rodin’s Thinker in front of the entrance was carefully removed to a conservator’s studio and returned after all work was competed. This image shows conditions prior to cleaning and restoration.